English Culture - both modern and historical
How often do you hear the question, ‘just what is English culture anyway?’. It may be hard to see – but that’s because much of global, western culture is English culture. From the language to pubs, beer, music, clothing and even architectural styles, the English took their culture with them when they emigrated to the likes of North America and Australia.
Here, you’ll find featured blog posts related to England and the English, whether historical or modern. Stick around, you might learn a thing or two!
“An Englishman, even if he is alone, forms an orderly queue of one“
English culture based posts
- I don’t know what Easter is like in your country. But I can tell you a little about Easter in England. We loved Easter when I was growing up. Me, my brother and sister loved the chocolate eggs that mom would hide around the house. On visiting our grandparents’ house, nan would do the same. […]
- Modern life. We’ve all got a few things wrong – well most of us at least. It takes a crisis like we’re in today to shine a light on these things. We admire the wrong people. So many of us are so used to the modern, western way of life that we’ve lost touch with […]
- St George’s Day is coming in April. Now I know people don’t often make a big fuss, but this is England’s day – I usually get out to a local event or do something with family.Of course, this year is going to be very different due to the enforced lockdown caused by COVID-19. This is […]
- Haunted places in England throughout history Whether or not you believe in ghosts or the paranormal, England has gained a reputation as one of the most haunted countries in the world. With the advent of camera phones, there is more evidence than ever that something is happening that science is yet to explain. Ghosts, goblins, […]
- Nothing makes me happier than giving something back. That’s why I volunteer on a local level and run this blog amongst other things. Giving is good for the soul. As part of my research for various articles and blog posts, I come across interesting tidbits throughout the internet. In exchange for you taking the time […]
- It’s not something we want to talk about, let alone think about. Death. But, unless massive advances in science take place, it is coming to us all. I’d like you to take a moment to think about something. If the worst was to happen in the near future, what will your legacy be? You probably […]
- I have recently stopped buying books. Not because I don’t want to buy them or I’m somehow bored – how can you be bored of books?! No, but the reason is unfortunately just as mundane. I spend too much on them and I’m running out of space. And I’ll be in trouble with my better […]
- Back when I was a child in the 1980s and ’90s, the way we chose to celebrate Halloween in England (or, rather, our parents chose for us) was a little different to today. Now, with the internet and video streaming, primarily YouTube, Halloween here is very American (my little one has developed an obsession with […]
- In England, we know this time of year as autumn. The nights are drawing in, it’s getting colder, spiders and other insects are heading indoors and trees have turned beautiful shades of gold, red and brown. Our North American cousins call this season fall. Which of autumn or fall is the better option to use? […]